Monday, March 2, 2020

February

God is moving. Something is going on and we are anxious to see what it is. Each new week of BLOCK (middle and high school program) we are greeted with more and more people. We have a solid group of adults who come, and rather than having their family responsibilities hinder their attendance, those volunteers have brought their spouses, their kids and multiplied the feeling of family within the ministry. I've really appreciated the intentionality of having a meal together at one table (several connected tables) each week, talking about our weeks, and discussing the topic for that week. For the next few weeks/months, we will be discussing what it means to surrender--surrendering our possessions, our thoughts, our plans, our attitudes, etc. In a neighborhood where having the best shoes or newest phone are a big status booster, the students are all familiar with desiring things that others have rather than being content with what they already have. Hebrews 13:5 says, "Keep your life free from the love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' " 

I've often struggled with the concept of complete surrender to God. I like to be in control, to have a good idea as to how life is going to affect me today. In prayer, I have no problem believing that God has the power and ability to answer my big prayers, but I sometimes question and doubt his willingness to take action. Will God actually help me? Does he want me to sit in this tough place to strengthen my faith in him? I'm currently reading Job and he had it bad. He followed hard after God, God blessed him with so many possessions and a big family, and then it all got taken from him. To make sense of the devastation Job was going through, his "friends" came to him to explain their take on his plight. Maybe it was Job's sin? Maybe Job was prideful? Sometimes I want to badly to know exactly God's intentions with my life and the life of those around me. But God does not have to explain himself, ever.

Prayers have been answered at 2nd Mile and we have hired a new Executive Director. George Maxey officially started a couple weeks ago and I believe he will multiply our impact in Brentwood with his connections and his experience with building up communities. Whereas 2nd Mile has primarily focused on the youth in our history, I know he has a heart to reach entire families. Please pray for his transition to 2nd Mile as well as our transition to him as our boss.

With March already here, you can also pray ahead of time for our mission teams that come for their spring breaks to help us with work projects. Their presence is always energizing to the staff and the kids love seeing new people to play games with. Have a blessed March.

No comments:

Post a Comment