Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Calloused


March is usually the time we are at our busiest at 2nd Mile. Normally, we'll have some college teams from across the country come help our community for their spring breaks. Unfortunately, only one team was able to come this year due to all the cancellations of campuses, schools, and strong encouragements not to travel. There were 10 people who came from Northwestern College in Iowa (a school that has faithfully come eight of the last nine years). They volunteered at our local elementary schools in the mornings and then in the afternoons either helped at our after school program or helped clean a local church (bathrooms, hallways, classrooms, raking leaves outside, etc.).

The future groups that ended up canceling were going to help out in our community garden, building a couple new garden beds that are beginning to rot. However, as the world continues to wait out this virus, we too at 2nd Mile are wondering what this means for our ministry's day-to-day. At first, spring break was extended for another week, then they closed schools until April 15th, and now they've extended it for May 1st. I get the feeling there will be no more school until the fall. The staff has been practicing social distancing, having video meetings, and trying to figure out what exactly we can do to serve those families that we are connected to. The schools are provided free lunches for any student that shows up, some schools are sending home computers so that learning can be continued at home. It's been a very backwards world right now and I can't help but wonder what it all means and how the world will come out on the other side.

In high school, I ran track for four years and cross country for three. From those years, my endurance was high and my resting heart rate was low, and the bottoms of my feet became hardened. In college, when I attempted to build upper body strength by doing pull-ups every night, my hands too became hardened in order to increase my grip on the bar. When I picked up guitar, also in college, my desire to learn how to play pushed myself passed those initial days of sore fingers on the nylon strings. Eventually, the tips of my fingers were hardened. 

In the past couple weeks of social distancing and quarantine, I decided to do some yard work. In Florida, like most places, it isn't necessary to mow the yard over the winter; however, come spring there are tons of leaves on the ground and weeds have grown as fast as weeds grow. It took me four different raking days over the course of two weeks to get all the leaves collected and bagged. In that time, I developed quite a few blisters on my hands, making each subsequent raking day a little bit more painful and frustrating, but I raked on. Finally after all the raking, I could mow the yard for the first time in 2020. Afterwards, I've been blessed with a good looking yard, and calloused hands.

It amazes me how God created our bodies to adjust to the strain we put on them. Working out new muscles breaks them down and builds them back up, but we endure the soreness. Doing repetitive and unfamiliar work develops endurance and callus, but we go through blisters, cuts, and bruises. I can only think that as a country, nay, as a humanity everywhere, we are experiencing the blister phase or the soreness phase of this corona virus. Doctors and nurses are fatigued, probably both mentally and physically. Parents who now have to work from home and teach their kids are at a loss as to how to do all aspects of their lives well. From social distancing, many people are either bored, stressed out, or "going crazy" in this new norm of life which is unpredictable and unknown as to when we will get back to normal. 

So what comes out the other side? It's gotta be callus. It's gotta be endurance. I don't know exactly how God will use this pandemic for his glory but in my personal life, I'm recognizing my need for God in every moment. Every hour I need thee. When I'm stressed, give it to God. When I'm accomplishing tasks, thank God. When I'm thinking about how someone is doing during all of this, pray to God and maybe text them.

I see callus in a video of Cuban doctors coming off a plane in Italy to help with the high number of cases there. I see callus in innovators making more and better face masks for workers in the hospitals. I see callus in people connecting more than they have in the past via video call. I see callus in churches conducting live streaming services.

As for 2nd Mile, we still exist, it just looks a little different in the day to day. We check in with families to make sure all is well, giving info on services provided by the different organizations in regards to food and supplies, and planning for whenever we get back in the swing of things.

As for me and my family, we are well. Missi is working from home now and Max has no idea anything is different in the world. We go for walks, play in the backyard, and are trying to potty train him (let's just say progress is slow). If you are bored or non-essential and wanna chat, hit me up. Or, just let me know that you are bored and I'll hit you up.

God, forgive us for the times we scramble and try to find our own way, our own comfort, our own meaning in our lives. Remind us of your goodness and your power Lord. Lift up your children's hearts to you that we may see your heart for those in need. Use us Lord for your will and not our own. Amen.


Check out this song. I've had it on repeat for weeks. Reminds me of God's presence. Good vibes. "Not Too Far" by GAWVI.


Here's a couple snapshots of my life this past March

Jaiden picking lettuce for salads at 2:52

Max playing outside





1 comment:

  1. Hey Andrew! I loved reading your blog ...catching up on them! Was glad to see that you were doing well. I was hoping that you were able to still have some ministry going on...sure hope you can do a summer one!
    Onto the next posting...love, aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete