Sunday, July 21, 2013

Great and Glorious

How many of your friends have been shot?

(Before you wonder and worry if one of my friends got shot, I will tell you, no).  Living in Brentwood for almost two years, I've learned more and more of what residents experience when tragic things happen.  Regardless of my own thoughts or opinions, I can't help but try and sympathize with those around me.  On my way home on the MLK Parkway, I looked down at a one of the main streets and saw four cop cars with their lights on.  Something went down, is now my knee-jerk reaction.  One cop, probably just a small offense, speeding or something like that.  Four cops, either a drug bust or someone got seriously injured, wounded, or killed.  Now, obviously these rules are not set in stone and there are many other possibilities of circumstances, but in my experiences, these tend to be true.  It turns out that a friend of one of my friends died (not sure how), and my friend has been thinking about his own life, when he'll go, if he'll go soon.

I share these things for two reasons.  One: It's just a small reminder that these things are happening.  If I don't hear or see anything bad happening from my point of view, I tend to think the whole world is doing fine.  Two: I don't ever want to write someone's feelings off if they differ from mine.  Meaning, if someone uses buzz words like "racial violence", instead of rolling my eyes and ignoring them, I choose to listen and understand why they might feel that way.

When I say the name Trayvon Martin, what emotion do you feel?  Maybe you are angry at the verdict.  Perhaps you are glad the trial is over and now we can get on with our lives.  Besides, people just want to complain and use the "race card".  Finally, you may have absolutely no opinion.  Maybe, you don't know much about the case and it isn't talked about much in your circles.  Whatever your feelings may be, I can tell you that how you feel or what you say or do will not change the fact that God is sovereign, the most perfect judge, and is in control.  As a staff member of an urban ministry, it is impossible to ignore these topics.  Do I fear for my own safety, knowing that the verdict probably angered some black people in the neighborhood?  Actually, not too much.  When you have a black guy and a non-black guy (usually white) involved in a case, it's pretty certain that the issue of "race" will be discussed.

Right before getting to the church to write this blog, an old woman from the church approached me to talk about our summer camp.  "You guys do a wonderful job.  You should contact a local news station to broadcast some of the good y'all do.  Everyone always only hears about the bad stuff.  There are good things happening here too."

Yes, I have moved into this neighborhood knowing all the dangers and darkness that lurk in the night, and occasionally in direct sunlight.  I know that my next day is not guaranteed, but I also know that I will not die sooner than I'm supposed to.  God knows exactly when my time will be up and has a purpose for it.

I do want to calm any concerns.  I walk to work a lot.  I feel very safe and I recognize many people in the neighborhood on my walks.  More and more people see my face and know I live here.  Most everyone I walk past acknowledges or greets me.  It might just be southern culture (I could be wrong) but many people down here are very cordial towards one another.  There are many good things about this neighborhood that I never had growing up.  I never talked to my neighbors.  When I went to the park with my siblings, there was a good chance that nobody else would be there.

We have one more week of camp.  We've had a ton of fun.  It's been tiring.  I'm going to miss the kids a ton.  Please pray that everyone continues to stay hype to the end of Friday.  Please pray that the kids remember this experience for a long time and know that they had a fun summer and were loved.  We don't know how much they will remember, but we hope that they remember the gospel.  God has been working in the kids' hearts and we are excited to see how this summer will impact their lives in the years to come.

Here's a short video from the 10-12 year olds during music time.  Get it boys!




(Great and glorious, awesome victorious, how great, how great, how great you are to me)
(Strong and mighty, great in glory, how great, how great, how great you are to me)
(Holy, holy is the king of glory, how great, how great, how great you are to me)

No comments:

Post a Comment