Monday, April 1, 2013

Relative - Part 2

Virginia L. Vollmer (otherwise known as Grandma Jenny)
(Feb. 26, 1922 - Mar. 1, 2013)

She made it to her 91st birthday, and now she is born into forever.  Knowing she believed in Christ definitely made her passing less heavy.  From what I remember about her, she was very sweet, funny, and caring.  She seemed to always be quick witted and knew how to make you smile.  I remember visiting her in Texas when I was about seven.  She had a pool, two dogs which she and my aunt Kris loved very much, and I can remember her taking us to a craft store where my brother and I got a ceramic that we took home to paint.  I got a ceramic fish which I painted red with yellow and purple striped fins.  I remember when we visited her in Colorado, I played the viola for her and my aunt, and they just wanted to listen as long as I was able to play.  It turns out Grandma Jenny loved to listen to Andre Rieu, a Dutch violinist.  I used to love watching him play with an orchestra playing behind him.  The music just made me feel happy.  I can't think of a better word than happy to describe it.

I have a pretty big family.  My grandma had eleven children.  I grew up with so many cousins around the country that I still struggle to remember their names and which aunt and uncle they belong to.  I don't have too many personal memories of encounters with my grandma, but the one I remember most and probably will remember for a long time was back in the summer of 2007 when we had a family reunion in Avon, Colorado (near Vail).  Grandma and I were talking about Andre Rieu and then she asked me if I had any special lady in my life.  At the time I didn't and she started to give me some elderly wisdom on not rushing into anything and being patient.  I was 19 then and she said there's no shame in waiting even into your 30's.  Even though this advice wasn't exactly mind blowing, it was very special to me because it was just me and her.

As I think about other relatives in my family, I realize how blessed I am to have gone to so many family reunions on both sides, seeing people that, despite not seeing you that often, still express their love and kindness.

For the last couple weeks, I've walked up and down streets in my neighborhood here in Brentwood cleaning and handing out flyers with spring break teams.  It amazed me that day after day, I'd see someone from the community that I recognize.  Most often it was someone I've played basketball with before.  "You still hoopin'?"
"Yeah, I'll be out there Sunday at 2:30."
Smiles were exchanged as recognition of intertwined lives occurred.

After church service two weeks ago, my friends and I stayed a little while to talk and a couple came up to me to say hi.  The husband remembers me from a men's Bible study we were in.  Later in the hallway as we were leaving, another man shakes my hand and mentioned that whenever he sees me he gets excited because he gets the impression that I'm passionate about missions.  It's amazing how just being in a community for a while breeds recognition and relationship, even if that wasn't the original intent.  I'm excited to get to know more and more people by name at the basketball courts, on our block, and at church.  Sometimes the amount of people that surround me overwhelms me, but I know that God has me interact with the few that I do for a reason.

I want to leave you with one of my grandma's favorite songs by one of her favorite musicians.  If you are reading this and you know her, let this song not only remind you of her heartfelt life, but of God who she dwells with for now and eternity.


Andre Rieu - Amazing Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment