Monday, October 29, 2012

Shadows

9:55am on Saturday, I pulled up to the parking lot of the Jacksonville Housing Authority in the huge 15-passenger white van decorated with spiders and their webs, black cats, smiling jack o' lanterns, and black bats.  I was alone in the parking lot, except for one stray cat that found the van to be quite intriguing.  Contrary to normal October weather in Florida, the morning was cool and breezy, perfect autumn day.  I looked at the empty lot imagining that it would soon be filled with cars, games, and hundreds of people.  Before the fun began at 1 o'clock, hot dogs needed grilling, big giant pickles needed packing, the big inflatable slide (yes, big inflatable slide) had to be transported, unrolled, and inflated, signs had to be hammered into the ground to direct cars and foot traffic, and then we'd be ready to go.

Earlier in the week, there was much anticipation at the after school program.  Every day I tried to ask some kids what ideas they had for a game they could make up for the van for this big event.  Some of their decoration ideas were pretty awesome, like painting the van black and then painting ghosts on it, but weren't very practical.  The anticipation was building and even I began to get excited for everyone that would be there.  I was very excited for Thursday to come because we were going to put the kids' plans into action.  However, there was a small glimpse on Thursday of something bigger and long-term that God has been doing in one of the kid's lives that I don't want to get overshadowed by blowing trees and falling leaves.

[Diallo, a 5th grader in our program was awarded the Student of the Month in his class and the school put on a nice catered lunch thing for the winners and their invited guests.  He asked me a couple times last week in passing if I could come.  I wanted to seem interested but I wasn't sure if I'd have time to go.  Anyway, I got some things planned ahead of time and got to go.  Mostly parents went to this thing but his mom wasn't able to go.  I felt honored to be invited and honestly always feel blown away by God's grace in how much these kids really shadow and attach to us at the program.  I arrive at the school, and again, Diallo exclaims, "Mr. Andrew!" and runs to me and gives me a hug.  Doesn't he know how flawed I am?  How weak I am?  How uncool I am?  As the principal read a paragraph from the students' teachers about those special October kids, it dawned on me why adults clapped at all those seemingly pointless awards ceremonies in school.  "Who cares if that random kid follows directions and only missed two days of school?" I used to think.  For Diallo, someone who a year ago could barely do addition or read simple words and often interrupted the class is now "improving his behavior, showing excellence in math, and making big jumps in reading."  It's cool to think about how a life can go from stagnant to full of life and growth in such a short time.]

Diallo and his principal at the Student of the Month ceremony (I sincerely clapped for all the kids)

So the students prepared on Thursday.  They wrote out plans for their game and decoration ideas, voted for their favorite, and then we brought their ideas to life.  Painted.  Taped autumn cutouts to the van (especially two well-placed bat cutouts on the hub caps).  They tested out the games, ran around outside, had a good last day of the week (no school Friday!).
Challah and Charity decorating

Ms. Dani, Tommieyah, Ferrell, and Chassidy painting
Fast forward to Saturday.  The once empty parking lot began to start trickling in some volunteer cars.  As 1 o'clock neared, even more cars arrived with games and candy.  Brother and sister Mekhi and Michaella were dropped off at the park and I was temporarily responsible for their whereabouts.  Normally talkative, hyper, and active, now were shy, quiet, and unfamiliar with this 2nd Mile festival.  We walked around to look at the petting zoo (consisting of a donkey, a small cow, a few goats, and a sheep), played a couple of the games and the siblings were surprised and excited to get rewarded with candy for throwing a ball through a hoop, or knocking over bottles with a basketball, etc.  As Charity and Chassidy (sisters also from the program showed up and said hi), the timidity and shyness slowly wore off and they were filled with energy to be guided by two that have been to the event before and could "show them the ropes."  It is interesting to me the idea of a shadow.  Always attached to the one with light showing on the other side, mimics everything.  Jesus' disciples were kind of like his shadows; Jesus is light and his followers were learning what it meant to be the light for others.  We as Christians, when striving to succeed in our own strength, fail to understand that we have someone who goes ahead of us who has a perfect will, perfect plan, and his work will be done, not ours.  I often fail to disown my ambitions and desires in my life for the sake of God's holy name.  1 Peter 1 has really encouraged me even in the past couple hours.

As I think back to this past weekend, the hugeness of this event, I can only give credit to God.  Relationships between neighbors and organizations and churches in the areas were started/strengthened/encouraged, the kids will only be that much more excited to come out next year and feel loved by their Creator, not just their community, not just 2nd Mile Ministries.

Thank you for your prayers.  Our God is mighty and awesome.  There will hopefully be a lot more pictures up on 2ndmile-jax.com soon.  God works in amazing ways.  Here is a testimony that blew me away today and reminded me of how merciful, loving, forgiving, and sovereign our Lord is.  This is part one of two.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvvClFSMIzA&feature=related

Michaella and Chassidy
Until next time, please continue to pray that big things would happen in Pearl World, in the neighborhood of Brentwood.  Honestly, my prayer life has been revealing how little I actually trust God with my every day.  If you find time, remember to pray for the ministry and those we relate to.  Sometimes I can feel the weight of Satan's lies and influences in the neighborhood as they seem to get closer and closer to my "safe bubble."
Our beautiful van

No comments:

Post a Comment