Saturday, December 10, 2011

Like Ghosts

I breathe about 20 times every minute.  20 breaths X 60 minutes X 24 hours X 365 days X 23.6 years = about 250 million breaths in my lifetime, not counting the times I was running around, requiring more oxygen, thus, more breaths.  Acts 17:25 says "[God] himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything."  Each breath you take, (inhale, exhale) is a gift from God.  With Christmas coming up, I'm sure gift-giving is to some extent on everyone's mind.  God has the power to withhold our ability to breathe whenever.  If you are reading this, then you are breathing.  God has given me 250 million gifts in my lifetime, just with breaths.  He is constantly giving.  Every day, He wills.  The gifts we give are tangible objects, many times on sale and with little thought or love.  Although God does provide us with visible things, I feel his most beautiful gifts are those we can't purchase or find in a store.  He fills me with joy.  His word encourages me.  His Spirit prompts my heart to pray for others.  When I cry, He holds me.  He doesn't struggle with the weight of carrying us.  He warms the shivers of my life.  With Jesus Christ in my life, the solid rock, nothing can shake me.
I would encourage you as you prepare for Christmas, that you look at the list of people you are getting gifts for, and stop and just think.  What do I think about when I think of this person?  How has this person positively impacted my life?  What is unique about him/her?  Have that be the basis of what you get them for Christmas.  The gift you give should not be the gift itself, but rather the heart behind it.  The unseen becomes reality, and the concrete becomes dust.  One of my favorite bands, Gungor, has a new album out called "Ghosts Upon the Earth" which means this very thing.  We are ghosts, here for a short while, mortal apparitions (one of my big boy words).  The beauty of the earth, the Holy Spirit, God, love, unseen things are immortal realities.

You may have people on your list that you're not on speaking terms with.  Maybe they're not even on your list.  Maybe you should think of names that didn't make the list.  For the past few weeks at the after school program, we've been teaching about forgiveness.  What it means, who it's for, when to forgive.  "If someone hits you, is it okay to hit them back? What should you do instead? Should you forgive someone even if they don't apologize?"  Our memory verse two weeks ago was 1 John 1:9 which says, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."  Matthew 6:14-15 says, "For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." 

The Christmas story is about Christ birth, God becoming man to take the punishment you and I deserve.  What a gift!  It's not Easter season, but who cares?  Christ's death and resurrection mark an end to the old covenant (required obedience of the Old Testament Mosaic law) and a beginning of the new covenant (opportunity to receive salvation as a free gift through Christ).  During his life, Jesus is believed to have been a carpenter.  Have you ever worked with wood before?  For the past week I've been chiseling a small piece of wood (probably 1x3x5) into a design of my choosing.  I started by sanding the surface which caused a cloud of dust to fill my nostrils, scenting me back to second grade when I first sanded a rocket for Boy's Club at church.  This piece of wood had lines on it, displaying the life-rings from the tree it was cut from.  A tree that God let rain fall on, let be planted there, protected for years from being uprooted.  A unique piece of wood like this, I learned, is very disobedient to what I want it to do.  Granted this was my first time, but it seemed I had only little control over how much wood would be removed.  The light parts are soft and sandable, the darker parts are stronger and more difficult to cut and sand.  Imagine if this was your craft.  You learn the characteristics of different woods, which types smell the best, shape the best, last the longest.  Now, imagine having a wooden cross placed on your torn apart back.  Your craft has become your crux.  His skill taken to the Skull.  I don't know this, but I bet Jesus looked at the wooden cross with thankfulness to his father in heaven who allowed him to be a carpenter.  He probably knew that by the look of the wood, the huge nails that would go through his wrists and feet would keep him securely on that cross. 

Consider this gift of life before December 25th.  We are all sinners.  There is no one righteous, no not one.  Forgive someone.  Love someone.  Apologize to someone.  Humble yourselves and approach the throne of grace with confidence.  Give the gift of love, thoughtfulness, and forgiveness to those you intend to see or call or mail a letter to.  Offer up your words, actions, and thoughts to the Lord and He will make your paths straight.

Enjoy three guys that God has given unique gifts to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_McMPovPKY&feature=relmfu

1 comment:

  1. This is quite beautiful and extremely thoughtful. Your entries have been an enormous blessing to me, cousin! Have a joyous Christmas this year!

    ReplyDelete