Thursday, December 31, 2020

Goodbye 2020

I've never run a marathon before, but I'd imagine the water stations throughout the race are a much welcomed gift for the runners as they either rehydrate or pour it on themselves to cool them down for the remainder of the race. I feel as though 2020 and beyond, for many, has been like running a marathon, but with no training whatsoever. We all desperately want the race to be over, but alas, it goes on for who knows how long.

Being able to spend a week to relax and be with family during Christmas week was a desperately needed water station for me.

Now back to the race. 

In a couple weeks, the middle and high school BLOCK program will begin meeting virtually on zoom. It has been repeatedly mentioned that the students that have been coming just want to meet up and hang out like they used to and not be on zoom, and I feel those desires myself. Doing ministry virtually has been like running with legs tied together. We've had great moments at camp, and even some amazing Bible studies since going virtual, but of course we hope and plan for the days when we can safely meet back together. On December 12th, we were able to meet up in person with families and others in the community and put on an outdoor family movie night. We watched Jingle Jangle (a Christmas musical on Netflix in case you're interested)! We had about 35 people show up throughout the night ranging from 3 years old to people in their 60s. Spread out in lawn chairs on our basketball court, families enjoyed hot chocolate, coffee, and popcorn with their movie. I'm excited to do this type of event again in the future!

My hope and vision for leading BLOCK virtually would be that we'd be able to reconnect with students that have been in our programs previously and that'd they would be the foundation for what BLOCK is. As students who've known each other for years regularly come, I pray and hope this creates a sense of belonging as many students and families have been isolated from each other for months. Please pray for the right students to show up. I can often feel the pressure to perform well in many aspects of life, and I don't want my identity to be bound to worldly success in ministry. I trust that God will use the next months to grow me, to humble me, and to use me as the marathon continues.

I'm reminded of Hebrews 12:1-2 which says, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." The sin that clings to me often is pride, self-pity, resentment, and judgment. Lord, I throw this all aside for your name's sake. Let 2021 be a year we look back on with gratitude.

Question: How do we run this race that is set before us with endurance?
Answer: By looking to Jesus, who endured the cross for us, and is now seated at the right hand of the throne of God!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment