Monday, December 11, 2017

Losing Your Life to Find It

You'll hear many say that Christmas is the time of giving rather than receiving, but this statement still has the aroma of presents and buying things for other people. I admit, at times I'm exciting to see how thankful someone is for the gift I bought them, thus feeding my pride and sense of worth. Similarly, when I try to get Maximus to smile or laugh by any means necessary, many times it's self-seeking. A smile or a laugh will feed me the satisfaction of being a good dad, regardless if I'm thinking at all of the fact that Max is happy.

Next on my to-read list is a thin book called The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness:The Path to True Christian Joy by Timothy Keller. I have yet to open it and start reading. There's just something about the title that is really compelling, yet difficult to actually begin. I don't want to forget myself. Am I taken care of? Will what I'm about to do benefit me in the end? I don't want to lose in life. Me and mines first, right America? The book simply has a picture of a mirror on it. It kind of bugs me that I can't see myself despite the mirror pointing directly at me.

As Christmas approaches, I ask you a few questions:

1.) When giving gifts this year to family or friends, are you more concerned with showing them how much they mean to you or with how much you mean to them?

2.) Which of these reason do you get excited for Christmas season the most?
    a.) The festive music
    b.) Getting gifts for people
    c.) Seeing family
    d.) Opening presents
    e.) Christmas decorations and snow
    f.) Jesus

Oh yeah, Jesus. I'd hope that "f" was my answer, but "a-e" coax me into their fantasy, like swimming free from molasses. Advertisements get more jolly, red, and green, Star Wars throws in a scene with snow during their December opening weekends, TV runs Christmas movies seemingly non-stop. I'm really sorry Jesus that we anticipate these things more readily than reflect on the anticipation of a savior that came from your birth. Help us see Christmas through new eyes.

3.) If you didn't know they were Mary and Joseph, how might you treat them if you saw them today?

John 13:34-35 says, "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

How are we to love like Jesus loved? First of all, how did he love others? He hung out with sinners, he touched and healed sick people, saw people for who they truly were, he was a servant to others, he wept for peoples' sadness, the list goes on. There are many things you can do and say over the holidays that can communicate this love, but remember, it is not for you to feel good about yourself, but to show the love of Christ. Ask a relative how they are doing, how they really are doing, ask them meaningful questions, pray for them, enter into their sorrow, share in their joys, make it about them, forget yourself.

But how can I express the love of Christ to those less fortunate than I am? I'm glad you ask all the right questions. I have one answer to this. You can help out our ministry and the families that we serve in some small ways. 

   First, you could give financially in order to help continue the work God is doing in our neighborhood. You could give one-time, or you could be one of our regular givers of $50, $100, $250, or some other amount each month. Even if you can't or won't give, click here to see what the page looks like.

God bless us, everyone!
   Second, you could have a look at our amazon wishlist. These include school supplies, books for reading (with people of color), and items for our after-school program store (the kids have occupations with which they wrote an application, had an interview, and can earn "money" to buy things). You can even buy some of our snacks or cleaning supplies if you'd like. Here's our Amazon wishlist. Take a look! You can ship items to 1650 Margaret St. Suite 302 #339, Jacksonville, FL 32204Thank you to whoever got us dodgeballs! Ours were falling apart and now we can play at least five more types of games during rec time. There's nothing more fun than throwing a soft foam ball at a child.

   Lastly, if you can't help us out financially or materially, your prayers work. I do know that where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matthew 6:21). If you treasure your prayer time, lift us up in prayer. General prayers would be that God would move in the hearts and minds of the students and their families, that they'd grow up to be leaders in their community, that they'd learn more about who they are in God's eyes, and for strength, patience, and endurance for us on staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment