Friday, April 8, 2016

Growing

2nd Mile Ministries has been going through changes the past few months.  First off, we've got a new Executive Director.  He and his wife and four kids have been very present in many of the ministry's gatherings and events.  They are already beginning to feel like family.  Secondly, we've just hired a high school director!  Five years ago, the idea to build an after school program was put into play and now some of those original two:fiftytwo After School Program students will be heading into high school at the end of this school year.  The Connect Middle School Program has been growing and getting much more consistent and well-structured.  I'm not exactly sure what the high school program will entail.  It is still in the planning stages.  I'm sure leadership development will be a big part of it, as many of the students in this neighborhood can't see life after high school having anything good for them.  We are starting to name this growing process for the kids The Leadership Pathway in hopes that our developing relationships with 2nd graders will continue to grow all the way through their teenage years.  Looking back on when some of these kids were just starting out with 2nd Mile, I'm encouraged by the growth God has allowed us to see.  Whether fast or slow, big or small, the growth is there.

Hannah Montana is a good read
When God broke my heart for these kids, he gave me a vision of where they'd be in twenty-plus years.  I cried at the thought of that.  God knows where they'll be and he allowed me to taste some of that.  As I get older and my muscles get more easily sore, I'm energized by the kids' energy and excitement.  The longer I spend with them and speak into their tough moments, the stronger bond I feel.  I genuinely love these kids and hurt when things happen to them beyond their control.  

We recently had Field Day, my favorite days of the school year.  The kids spend time outside throwing footballs, bouncing basketballs, running, jumping rope, and doing long jumps.  Why I love this day so much is because for the past three years, I've kept statistics.  I really enjoy keeping track of numbers and what trends and stories they tell.  (This probably began with my basketball card collecting days.)  I remember keeping stats of my elementary and middle school games.  I would even watch the NBA All-Star game and keep track of the players' point totals, even when I knew they'd be printed in the paper the next morning.  Why I love field day is because it shows a measureable amount of growth that we might not otherwise see.  I'm sure many of you have experienced or seen people measure how tall their kids grow each year.  We don't see the growth until we measure it with a ruler.  Although I get enjoyment out of seeing who the faster kid ever at two:fiftytwo was, I get more excited when I see the kids doing better year after year.  We do field day once in the fall and once in the spring.  I think it's a cool idea to think about 2nd Mile Ministries in a historical way as well as spiritual.  Ten years from now, maybe Mekhi's 11ft 3in long jump record will still be standing, and he can look back with fond memories of field day.  Maybe no one will ever run faster from one pole to the other than Jovan did in 5.08 seconds.  I hope that 2nd Mile Ministries won't just be a place some kids went after school to stay safe.  I hope it's a place where their lives are touched and loved by God and they can point to that love as a great part of their life.  Lastly, I hope that whatever positive effect this ministry has on these kids, they can reinvest to the next groups of youngens with their own influence and positivity.

Few things to note:
Lizards are everywhere in Jacksonville


Jake and Dani (After School Program Director) got married!


My nephew Lucas came to visit me
for a week.  It was awesome!



Prayer requests:
-Missi and I have been trying to buy a house and the process is taking much longer than what was originally said.  Pray for patience, but also that things move forward in this process.
-Back in January, Missi and I experienced a miscarriage.  God has provided us with comfort and encouragement from people.  Pray for us, and especially Missi, as her heart can still break at times in remembrance.
-Neek's transition to high school director.  Pray for wisdom and innovation and leadership as he plans the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment