Saturday, June 30, 2012

Pray

Sorry I haven't been as committed to writing in this blog this summer.  It's hard to give Jacksonville updates when I'm not there myself.  I can tell you that the first week of the Summer Day Camp is complete and three more are on their way.  At camp, about 70 kids from Brentwood ages 5-12 get to learn more about God and partake in some really fun activities which include Challenge Circle (relay race game), dance, crafts, etc.  If you are on facebook, you can check out "2nd Mile Ministries" and get better updates throughout the summer.

Throughout my life, I've been blessed with not getting injured or hurt badly enough to go to a hospital.  Yesterday while playing basketball with some older guys at church, I landed on the side of my foot and possibly sprained it.  It did hurt but I played a couple more games on it since it wasn't so bad.  To make a long story short, I used crutches for the first time in my life (well, other times were just for fun), and now I have a boot on it so that I can walk.  I'm okay and even though I can't move as quickly and I can't play basketball or go frolfing with people for a while, my spirit is surprisingly not damaged.

Earlier yesterday, I watched a 6 minute video of a pastor talking about what it would look like to love people as Jesus loves us.  It kind of hit me hard, in a good way, and I wanted to share it with you, whoever may be reading this.  I hope it is convicting and that it moves you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6TUnxm6DSc&feature=related

It's been a while since I've included prayer requests in my blogs and that's something I definitely don't want to forget.  In my recent devotion times, God has made it clearer to me at how important it is to pray.  Mark 1:35 says, "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed."  Isn't that crazy?  Jesus, the Son of God, perfectly righteous, without sin, found it necessary and important to get some alone time with the Father.  Matthew 6:1-15 talks about prayer.  Please read it.  Just type it into google, it's right there a couple clicks and types away.  Go ahead, I can wait.  See you in a few minutes.



I've learned that almost all of my prayer is about asking God for something or to do something.  If prayer is my communication with God, what good is that doing?  Isaiah 55:8 says that my thoughts and ways are not God's thoughts and ways.  In fact, as high as the heavens are above the earth, that's how much higher his ways are than mine.  If I have a relationship with God, or anyone for that matter, what good would that relationship be if I just made requests all the time.  I encourage you that as you pray and read through scripture, that listening would become part of your prayer life.  That's something I'm weak at.  Don't get me wrong, the Bible tells us, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to GodAnd the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7)

My prayer for you, whoever you may be, is Philippians 4:6-7, that your prayer life and relationship with God would grow to conform to His ways for your life rather than your own.  As far as my prayer requests go, you could be in prayer for:
-those in Jacksonville now working at the Summer Day Camp to have patience and the love of God for the kids as well as the families they come into contact with.
-me to not get discouraged about my ankle and to rely on God to provide for my next year in Florida.
-those that live near all the flooding in Florida as well as those directly effected by the Colorado fires.  Even though you might not know anyone personally, let's lift them up to God in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment